A TYPICAL VISIT: for a Key Stage 3 Secondary School Maths Visit consists of two 60-minute “talks” –the whole of Year 7, the whole of Year 8 – and one hands-on maths “workshop” – with lots of possible variations. Both talks and workshops may include some number, geometry and algebra, with the emphasis on making maths less abstract and more visual.
MISSION STATEMENT FOR SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHS VISITS: to put across that… :
- Maths is the study of number, shape and pattern, and the last of these is where the best maths happens!
- Algebra is merely the language of patterns. Each algebraic formula tells us the answer not to just one puzzle, but to an infinity of puzzles!
- Maths is incredibly useful in the real world, from telling the time and paying for things, to designing computer games, engineering (a posh term for when we build anything) to studying our climate.
- Maths doesn’t have to be useful to be fun – it’s ok to enjoy a maths puzzle just for its own sake!
- Maths can be a multi-sensory experience, with Pictures, Props, Participation and Puzzles.
SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHS ENRICHMENT TALKS (any number of students): A typical Talk will include music, bespoke props to bring the maths alive, and audience participation to make the maths a hands-on and interactive experience.
SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHS WORKSHOP THEMES (one class size at a time): have in the past included vertex notation for 3D Shapes (very visual and hands on!), The Rules of Random ( probability, dice rolls, Normal Distribution), and a Number, Shape and Pattern Quiz (teams of four, lasting from 30 to 90 mins). All House Of Maths Workshops are completely hands-on, with every student doing the maths themselves.
House of Maths School Workshops Primary & Secondary in Dorset & South - "Secondary School Maths Workshops and Talks KS3 Years 7&8" Gallery
Click image to view full size